Physician Assistant | Savannah
General Summary: An exempt position responsible for practicing medicine with Physician supervision including conducting examinations and writing prescriptions. Within Physician–Physician Assistant relationship, Physician Assistant's exercise autonomy in medical decision making and provide a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services. Will practice in general orthopedics as well as surgery and surgical subspecialties. May include responsibility for education, research, and administrative services.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Conducts physical exams, assesses health status, orders and interprets tests, prescribes medications, and treats illnesses including giving injections and suturing wounds. Consults with Physicians as needed and refers to Physicians for more complicated medical cases or cases that are not a routine part of a Physician Assistant’s scope of work.
- Monitors therapies and provides continuity of care.
- Triages patient calls and evaluates patient problems. Responds to emergencies including use of CPR.
- Counsels patient/family on preventive health care.
- Documents patient information and care in medical record and may maintain department statistical database for research purposes.
Education: Bachelor’s degree and successful completion of accredited Physician Assistant program.
Experience: Four years of health care experience prior to applying to Physician Assistant program, plus one year of experience as Physician Assistant, preferably in clinic setting.
Other Requirements: National certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistant's. To maintain their national certification, Physician Assistant's must log 100 hours of continuing medical education every two years and sit for a recertification every six years. State Physician Assistant license also required. Current CPR certificate required.
- Knowledge of medical model and roles of Physicians and Physician Assistants. Familiar with anatomy, pharmacology, pathophysiology, clinical medicine, and physical diagnosis.
- Knowledge of patient assessment techniques including taking medical histories, performing physicals, evaluating health status including state of wellness, and compliance with care recommendations.
- Knowledge of diagnosing and treating medical problems and developing care plans.
- Knowledge of documentation in medical records in confidential manner.
- Skill in gathering and analyzing physiological, socioeconomic, and emotional patient data.
- Skill in accurately evaluating patient problems in person or via phone and providing appropriate advice, intervention, or referral.
- Skill in developing/revising patient care plan based on patient status.
- Ability to make responsible decisions within scope of Physician Assistant practice.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with physicians on complicated cases.
- Ability to educate patients, families, and staff in user-friendly manner.
- Ability to demonstrate eye–hand coordination, full range of motion, and manual dexterity.
Equipment Operated: Medical instruments required for physical exams and minor surgery and computer hardware/software.
Work Environment: Medical office and exam room settings. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, biohazards, and other conditions common to clinic. Frequent contact with variety of people.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Involves standing, sitting, walking, bending, stooping, and twisting. May be required to help to transfer patient. High level of responsibility and heavy workload can generate stress.
- Competitive Pay
- Company Benefits
- Vacation, Personal Time Off, and Sick Leave
- Holiday Pay
- 401K Plan
Apply for this position by sending your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org